Monday, August 22, 2011

1st Week "Goodies"

Well, we're back in full swing and it is definitely an adjustment.  In 13 years of teaching, this is the most students I have ever had- 35 to be precise.  It is a little overwhelming, but the kids seem to be adjusting a little better now that we are getting to our regular routine.  But truthfully, I think the only reason I'm surviving right now is because I have a tutor (this week only) and a student-teacher in my room ALL day.  They are truly life-savers!

We started our reading program this week (Houghton Mifflin).  I created some printables to go along with our first theme.  Each day my students do a page of seatwork and then they can go to their center for the day.  Each page reinforces the phonics skill for that week.
Here is an example of one of the phonics pages...


I hope everyone's school year is off to a great start and I can't wait to see all the fabulous ideas you all come up with this year!



5 comments:

  1. I love these. This is my last year of teaching. . .you only have 30 more to do to catch me!!! I am kinda tired of creating, especially when all you youngin's do such a good job AND SHARE!!! THX!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read that you have 35 kiddos. I had that twice in my career. I am so glad you are young and have some help for now. Maybe by the time the help is gone, you will have your routines established! Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I am always looking for things to spice up Houghton Mifflin. I really don't care for the practice books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good grief! 35?! Girl- I'm sorry- that's got to be tough! Don't be afraid to reach out for help if you need it! (I had a year with 18 boys and 4 girls and THAT was bit much! Can't imagine 35!)

    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete